13. juni 2010

The confusion of illusion

I find myself confusing myself.
English has become my language: I would even argue my English is more fluent than my Norwegian.
La Crosse has become my city: I would even say I know as many street names and different ways to get to different places in La Crosse as in Førde, even though La Crosse is 4 times bigger than Førde.
Central has become my school: Where I respect&like my teachers, and enjoy my classes.
And last but not least: This is my friends' homes.

So it is confusing. Because it is all just an illusion.
This is not my language. Nor my city. Nor my school, nor my friends.

Today my mom and I went on a tour bus, with 7 other people - all from Texas. And I found myself laughing at their "ya'll"s and their Texas-orange tshirts(that I remember so vividly from springbreak in Washington D.C.) and, of course their arguements that everything is better and bigger in Texas. One hour later I found myself walking along "The Muscle Beach", and I could see parts of a sign to a store/fastfood place/restaurant. The sign was in two words. And they both started with Ch. Or that's what I thought. And without even thinking about it I made the assumption it said "Cheddar Cheese". Well, it turned out to be The Cherry.
After the whole "Cheddar Cheese" thing, I concluded with this being a sign: Wisconsin is my home. It is my 2nd home. Or so it seems.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't mind living in Los Angeles either. It is fantastic here!
love gurthi

1 kommentar:

anagasto sa...

Now wait till you see that you are slowly losing your first language. Mine was German. I [honestly] believe that I can still write faultless German, but won't try to speak German anymore, and sure have to read it slowly.

However, I have never taken to English language poetry. Let's see. I first noticed that I was no longer competent in German when I had to translate certain business expressions.